Skip to content

Wholesale Laws for Oregon

Produced in partnership with

Avalara Logo


Last Updated: June 8, 2020


The Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) is an independent state agency under the Governor. The Commission is the agency responsible for regulating the sale and service of alcoholic beverages and regulating the sale of recreational marijuana in Oregon.

Beer and wine are distributed through private wholesalers. Oregon has control of spirits at wholesale. Spirits are only sold in retail liquor locations operated and managed by state-appointed liquor agents who act as independent contractors.

Laws & Rules:

Supplier Licensing

Required:  Yes

Name:  Certificate of Approval

Fee:  $350

Expiration:  Dec. 31st (5 year permit)

A Certificate of Approval (CERA) is required for selling to a licensed wholesaler in the state and is approved for a five year period.


Product Registration

Required:  No

Oregon law does not require you to obtain prior OLCC approval, unless the label is a private label. Private labels contain an Oregon retailer’s trade name, trademark, or other words or symbols identifiable with a retailer.

Franchise "Monopoly Protection" Law

Franchise Law:  No

Exclusive Territories:  Not Required

Oregon does not have a franchise law for wine.

Supplier Reporting Requirements

Required:  Yes

Name:  Statement Of Wine Imported

Due Date:  Monthly, by the 20th

A Certificate of Approval holder must file a monthly statement with the Commission.


Sales Representative Licensing

Available:  Yes

Fee:  $23

Expiration:  5 years from issue date

Representatives who solicit wholesale orders for wine, cider or malt beverages in Oregon are NOT required to have a license, provided they do not conduct tasting or pour or serve alcoholic beverages on a licensed premises.

An Oregon Service Permit is required for employees or agents who conduct tasting or serve alcohol at any licensed premise in the state.

Beginning May 1, 2018, all service permit applications must be submitted through the Alcohol Service Portal on the OLCC website. Paper applications are no longer accepted. The total cost for submitting an Alcohol Service Permit Application is the standard fee of $23 plus a convenience fee of $5.65. The Alcohol Service Permit has a fee of $23 plus a $5.65 “portal provider fee” and is valid for 5 years.



Allowed:  Yes

License:  Required

License Fee:  $200

License Expiration:  Dec. 31st of each year

Label Registration:  Not Required

Excise Tax:  Required

Reporting:  Required

A Wine Self-Distribution Permit allows a manufacturer of wine and cider in a U.S. state other than Oregon, and who also holds an Oregon Certificate of Approval, to sell and ship such wine and cider directly to an Oregon retail licensee but only if the Oregon retailer holds a valid endorsement issued by the OLCC authorizing the receipt of wine or cider from the holder of a Wine Self-Distribution Permit. There is no limit on the amount of wine that can be shipped to a retailer.

Applicants need to either obtain a minimum bond of $1000 or a bond waiver. Additionally, Oregon does not impose privilege (excise) tax on the first 40,000 gallons, or 151,000 liters, of wine sold annually in Oregon from a US manufacturer of wines producing less than 100,000 gallons, or 379,000 liters, annually. All records must be kept for at least two years.


Trade Practice Advisories

Oregon Liquor Control Commission
9079 SE McLoughlin Blvd.
Portland, OR 97222
Phone: (503) 872-5000


Recent Compliance Alerts

View all Compliance Alerts


This information is intended for winegrower licensees only. All information above is provided as an informational aid and is not legal advice. Data may be out-of-date or incomplete. Please consult a lawyer before taking any action.