Skip to content

Wholesale Laws for Colorado

Produced in partnership with

Avalara Logo


Last Updated: Jan. 10, 2020


The Colorado Department of Revenue Enforcement Division oversees the licensing of in state and out of state importers. All alcohol must be sold through a licensed importer, who can be located within or without the state of Colorado.

Laws & Rules:

Supplier Licensing

Required: Yes

Name: Importer’s License (Vinous & Spirituous Liquor)

Fee: $300, plus $1,550 fee for initial license

Expiration: 1 year from issue date

It is unlawful to import or sell any imported alcohol beverage in this state unless such person is the primary source of supply in the United States for the brand of such liquor to be imported into or sold within this state and unless such person holds a valid importer’s license.

Applicants for an importer’s license outside of the State of Colorado are not, generally, required to register with the Colorado Secretary of State. Such applicants may submit a copies of their articles of incorporation and certificate of good standing from the State of California. The Individual History Record must also be filed and include fingerprint cards with each form, along with a $39.50 payment to the CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigations) The Affidavit – Restrictions On Public Benefits Form 4679 is required for sole proprietors and husband & wife partnerships only.

An out-of-state supplier may choose to ship under the license of an importer in the state of Colorado rather than obtain their own license.


Product Registration

Required: Yes

Fee: $5 processing fee

Approval: 2-3 weeks

Expiration: Does Not Expire

Revision Required: COLA change

Product registrations must be submitted through Product Registration Online (PRO). There is a $5 technology fee to register each label. Brand registrations may be verified on the Liquor Enforcement Division’s website. Each product label only has to be registered once.

Product registrations may only be registered by the Importer license holder. A winery who does not obtain their own license may authorize a licensed importer to register their products. An Importer must pay a $200 Sole Source Fee to register each brand for which they are not the primary source.

Each licensed manufacturer, non-resident manufacturer or importer shall submit a complete report, on forms prepared and furnished by the state licensing authority, which shall detail: the licensee’s name and license number; the designated Colorado licensed wholesaler(s); the name of the United States primary source of supply; the products to be imported, including the brand name, class or type, and fanciful name; and evidence of compliance with federal labeling requirements.

Labels may be shipped immediately after being approved. Legislation (SB 18-124), effective Aug. 8, 2018, removed the thirty day waiting period required of manufacturers and importers before the importation or sale of any alcohol beverages in Colorado.


Franchise "Monopoly Protection" Law

Franchise Law: No

Exclusive Territories: Not Required

Colorado does not have a franchise law for wine.

Supplier Reporting Requirements

Required: No

The Colorado Department of Revenue does not require out-of-state companies who only have an Importer’s License to file liquor tax returns or to remit Colorado liquor excise tax for the product they ship to Colorado licensed distributors.

Sales Representative Licensing

Available: No

A salesperson’s license is not required.


License: Not Allowed

Interstate self-distribution is not permitted.

Trade Practice Advisories

Colorado Department of Revenue
Liquor & Tobacco Enforcement Division

1697 Cole Boulevard, Suite 200
Lakewood, CO 80401
Phone: 303-205-2300
Fax: 303-866-2428


Recent Compliance Alerts

View all Compliance Alerts


This information is intended for winegrower licensees only. All information above is provided as an informational aid and is not legal advice. Data may be out-of-date or incomplete. Please consult a lawyer before taking any action.