Skip to content

Wholesale Laws for Hawaii

Produced in partnership with

Avalara Logo


Last Updated: Jan. 3, 2020


Alcohol is regulated at the County level in Hawaii. There are four counties; Honolulu, Maui, Hawaii, and Kauai.

Laws & Rules:

Supplier Licensing

Required: No

Out-of-State suppliers are not required to obtain a license to ship wine products to wholesaler in the state.

Product Registration

Required: No

Brand registration, per se, is not required. Honolulu Liquor Commission asks manufacturers/distributors to submit copies of COLAs or sample labels for products not previously sold in Honolulu County. Main review is to determine that the product has a COLA approval (if applicable) and that certain words indicating Hawaii origin or manufacture are not improperly used (HRS 281-3).

Franchise "Monopoly Protection" Law

Franchise Law: No

Exclusive Territories: Not Required

Hawaii does not have a franchise law for wine.

Supplier Reporting Requirements

Required: No

Suppliers are not required to report sales or shipments of wine to wholesalers.

Sales Representative Licensing

Available: No

A salesperson’s license is not required.


License: Not Allowed

Interstate self-distribution is not permitted.

Trade Practice Advisories

Honolulu Liquor Commission
Pacific Park Plaza
711 Kapiolani Blvd., Suite 600
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: 808-768-7300
Fax: 808-768-7311

County of Hawaii
Department of Liquor Control
Hilo Lagoon Center
101 Aupuni Street, Suite 230
Hilo, HI 96720
Phone 808-961-8218
Fax: 808-961-8684

County of Kauai
Department of Liquor Control
4444 Rice Street, Suite 120
Lihue, HI 96766
Phone: 808-241-4966
Fax: 808-241-6585

County of Maui
Department of Liquor Control
2145 Kaohu Street
Trask Building, Room 105
Wailuku, HI 96793-2257
Phone: 808-243-7753
Fax: 808-243-7558


Recent Compliance Alerts

View all Compliance Alerts


This information is intended for winegrower licensees only. All information above is provided as an informational aid and is not legal advice. Data may be out-of-date or incomplete. Please consult a lawyer before taking any action.