Skip to content

Wholesale Laws for New Hampshire

Produced in partnership with

Avalara Logo


Last Updated: July 2, 2018


The New Hampshire Liquor Commission (NHLC) is an independent state agency led by a Chairman and a Deputy Commissioner. NHLC is comprised of three divisions: the Division of Enforcement, Licensing and Education; the Division of Marketing and Sales; and the Division of Administration. NHLC controls the distribution of wine and spirits in the state through retail and wholesale.

Laws & Rules:

Supplier Licensing

Required: Yes

Name: Liquor and Wine Vendor

Fee: $300 – $12,000, plus $100 initial application fee

Expiration: 1 year from issue date

Secretary of State Registration: Yes

A Liquor and Wine Vendor License authorizes the licensee to sell liquor and/or wine products in the State of New Hampshire for which they are the primary source. To apply for this license the applicant must first, complete and submit the Liquor and Wine Vendor Request for Application form and pay a $100 processing fee. Upon receipt of the Request for Application, NHLC will send a Liquor and Wine Vendor application.

The fees for a Liquor and Wine Vendor License are:

  • Sales of less than 1,000 cases per year, $300.
  • Sales of between 1,000 and 5,000 cases per year, $1,500.
  • Sales of between 5,000 and 10,000 cases per year, $3,000.
  • Sales of between 10,000 and 25,000 cases per year, $6,000.
  • Sales of between 25,000 and 50,000 cases per year, $9,000.
  • Sales of over 50,000 cases per year, $12,000.

A winery may choose to work with a licensed broker rather than obtain their own license. A winery must designate a licensed representative who is a resident of NH.

Any person applying for a liquor and wine representative license shall have been a New Hampshire resident, or shall have at least one director, officer, or partner who has been a New Hampshire resident for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of the application.


Product Registration

Required: Control State

New Hampshire is a control State for wine, beer and spirits. All wine products must be listed with the state. Listing process requires a copy of the label to be submitted.

Wine Vendor licensees must submit price changes online at least 60 days before the quarterly effective date.

Franchise "Monopoly Protection" Law

Franchise Law: No

Exclusive Territories: Not Required

New Hampshire is a control state. There is no franchise law for wine.

Supplier Reporting Requirements

Required: No

Suppliers are not required to file regular sales reports with the Commission.

Sales Representative Licensing

Available: Yes

Fee: $25

Expiration: 1 year from issue date

A Liquor Wine Representative license is needed to represent liquor and/or wine products on behalf of Liquor and Wine Vendors in the State of New Hampshire. To be eligible for this license a person must have been a New Hampshire resident for the last three years and be at least 21 years of age. To apply for this license complete and submit the Liquor Wine Representative Request for Application form with the $25 processing fee. Salespeople are not required to hold a license.



License: Allowed

License Fee: $100

License Expiration: 1 yr from issue date

Excise Tax: Mark-up Fee Required

Reporting: Required

Wineries with a valid Direct Shipper Permit may self-distribute a limited amount of wine to a licensee if that licensee has obtained prior approval from the Commission.

This permit requires monthly reporting and fee payments.


Trade Practice Advisories

New Hampshire Liquor Commission
Division of Enforcement & Licensing
PO Box 1795
Concord, NH 03302-1795
Phone: 603-271-8543
Fax: 603-271-8424


Recent Compliance Alerts

View all Compliance Alerts


This information is intended for winegrower licensees only. All information above is provided as an informational aid and is not legal advice. Data may be out-of-date or incomplete. Please consult a lawyer before taking any action.