Skip to content

Wholesale Laws for Kentucky

Produced in partnership with

Avalara Logo


Last Updated: June 19, 2020


The Alcoholic Beverage Control Board promulgates reasonable administrative regulations relative to the traffic of alcoholic beverages. The Kentucky Revised Statutes, specifically chapters 241-244 and chapter 438, authorize the Board to regulate and oversee the alcoholic beverage industry and to adjudicate and levy fines. The ABC Board has full authority to issue, deny, suspend or revoke alcoholic beverage licenses.

Definition of Wine in Kentucky:

“Wine” means the product of the normal alcoholic fermentation of the juices of fruits, with the usual processes of manufacture and normal additions, and includes champagne and sparkling and fortified wine of an alcoholic content not to exceed twenty-four percent (24%) by volume. It includes sake, cider, hard cider, and perry cider and also includes preparations or mixtures vended in retail containers if these preparations or mixtures contain not more than fifteen percent (15%) of alcohol by volume. It does not include weak cider KRS 241.010 .

Laws & Rules:

Supplier Licensing

Required: Yes

Name: Out-of-State Wine Supplier’s License


  • $260 – less than 50,000 gallons
  • $1,550 – 50,000 gallons or more

Expiration: Dec. 31st of each year

An Out of State Supplier license must be obtained before shipping into Kentucky. Permit types have a one or two year licensing/renewal option available and the fee is based on number of gallons imported into the state.

Paper applications are no longer accepted by the Department.


Product Registration

Required: Yes

Fee: No Fee

Approval: 7-14 days

Expiration: Does Not Expire

Revision Required: COLA change

The department uses an online brand registration system known as Kentucky PRO (Product Registry Online).

Distributors are required to review and approve registrations before they are submitted to the state. Registrations generated by suppliers are sent to a distributor portal, where distributors can log in using their state license number to review and approve. A distribution agreement is required for label approval.


Franchise "Monopoly Protection" Law

Franchise Law: No

Exclusive Territories: Not Required

Kentucky does not have a franchise law for wine.

Supplier Reporting Requirements

Required: Yes

Name: Consignor’s Report Of Alcoholic Beverages Shipped

Due Date: Monthly, by the 20th

Each supplier must file a Consignor’s Report of Alcoholic Beverages Shipped with the Department of Revenue. Reports must be filed in duplicate.


Sales Representative Licensing

Available: Yes

Fee: $30

Expiration: Dec. 31st of each year

A Special Agent’s or Solicitor’s license is $30 per year and does not require a $50 application fee. A special agent’s or solicitor’s license may be issued to a duly authorized representative, employee, or agent of, or solicitor for a distiller, rectifier, winery, or wholesaler licensed in Kentucky or by the state of his or her residence and by the United States if a resident therein. The license shall authorize the licensee to offer for sale and to solicit orders for the sale of any alcoholic beverage sold by a distiller, rectifier, winery, or wholesaler who is licensed in Kentucky or who is a nonresident.

Paper applications are no longer accepted by the Department.



License: Not Allowed

Interstate self-distribution is not permitted.

Trade Practice Advisories

Kentucky Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
500 Mero Street, 2NE33
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: 502-564-4850
Fax: 502-564-1442

Kentucky Department of Revenue
Excise Tax Section
​Station 62
PO Box 1303
Frankfort, KY 40602-1303
Phone: 502-564-6823


Recent Compliance Alerts

View all Compliance Alerts


This information is intended for winegrower licensees only. All information above is provided as an informational aid and is not legal advice. Data may be out-of-date or incomplete. Please consult a lawyer before taking any action.