Skip to content

Wholesale Laws for Indiana

Produced in partnership with

Avalara Logo


Last Updated: Aug. 1, 2019


The Indiana Alcoholic Beverage Commission was created by an Act of the Indiana General Assembly in 1933, following the repeal of Prohibition. Effective July 1, 2001, the name was changed to the Alcohol and Tobacco Commission (ATC).

The Commission is composed of four (4) members appointed by the Governor of the State of Indiana. There are also local alcoholic beverages boards in each of the state’s 92 counties who consider and review all applications for alcoholic beverage permits in their particular area. The State Excise Police enforce the laws of the State of Indiana related to alcoholic beverages as well as the rules of the Commission.

Laws & Rules:

Supplier Licensing

Required: Yes

Name: Primary Source Registration

Fee: No Fee

Expiration: 2 years from issue date

A winery that is licensed as a Primary Source in Indiana may not also hold a Direct Wine Seller Permit or a Farm Winery Permit.


Product Registration

Required: No

All producers (brewers, distillers, rectifiers, vintners and small wineries) and importers, before shipping or causing to be shipped alcoholic beverages in Indiana, shall make available to the ATC upon request all brands, labels, and trademarks used or proposed to be used by said producer or importer in selling or advertising for sale alcoholic beverage in Indiana.

Labels will be approved by the ATC if they have been approved by the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (905 IAC 1-23-1).

Franchise "Monopoly Protection" Law

Franchise Law: No

Exclusive Territories: Not Required

Indiana does not have a franchise law for wine.

Supplier Reporting Requirements

Required: Yes

Name: Primary Source Suppliers Monthly Report

Due Date: Monthly, by the 10th

A Primary Source Supplier’s Monthly Report for Wine & Liquor must be filed with the Indiana Department of Revenue by the 10th of each month, even if there is no activity to report.


Sales Representative Licensing

Available: Yes

Fee: $20

Expiration: 1 year from issue date

A Salesman permit is required for any person who procures, or seeks to procure an order or contract for the sale, or for the delivery, or for the transportation of alcoholic beverages; and, also means a person who is engaged in promoting the sale of alcoholic beverages, or in promoting the business of a person engaged in the alcoholic beverage trade in any manner, whether the seller resides within this state and sells to buyers either within or without this state, or whether the seller resides without this state and sells for delivery to buyers within this state. (IC 7.1-1-3-41).



License: Not Allowed

Interstate self-distribution is not permitted.

Trade Practice Advisories

Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission
Indiana Government Center South
302 W Washington St RM E204
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2740
Phone: 317-232-2430
Fax: 317-233-6114

Indiana Department of Revenue
100 North Senate St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Phone: 317-615-2562
Alt. Phone: 317-615-2581


Recent Compliance Alerts

View all Compliance Alerts


This information is intended for winegrower licensees only. All information above is provided as an informational aid and is not legal advice. Data may be out-of-date or incomplete. Please consult a lawyer before taking any action.